Director, Data Science and Risk
The Director of Data Science and Risk provides leadership in risk strategy, development and management of risk models. Provides leadership in data science and decisioning processes to improve business performance. Requires the ability to partner with IT and other business units to deliver improvements to current underwriting processes and systems. An individual with a strong technical background, strong business acumen and collaborative pro-active mindset will be successful in this role.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepares roadmap for the evolution of the organization’s underwriting strategy.
- Develops a framework for model development, validation, testing and optimization.
- Manages a team of statisticians and data scientists to design, develop, and implement statistical and machine learning models.
- Performs data studies with internal and external data sources to evaluate lift from inclusion of the data source and improve model efficiency.
- Works closely with IT and business intelligence teams on model implementation and validation efforts.
- Maintains robust documentation on data sources, scoring and underwriting processes.
- Assists with designing underwriting policies and procedures that maximize profitability.
- Communicates results of modeling and underwriting initiatives to the leadership team.
- Engages with business leaders across Aaron’s to support data driven and automated decision making.
Required Education and Experience:
- Master’s degree or higher required.
- 5+ years of experience in managing a risk or data science team required.
- No certifications required.
- Strong creative problem solving and communication skills.
- Ability to lead a team of data scientists.
- Strong understanding of statistics, econometrics and machine learning concepts.
- Experience with statistical techniques such as OLS and logistic regression.
- Experience with machine learning and artificial intelligence algorithms.
- Experience developing models in Python, R or SAS.
Team members enjoy access to career training and advancement opportunities, and are rewarded with competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits package, which includes:
- Paid time off including vacation days, sick days and holidays
- Medical, dental & vision insurance
- Maternity and Paternity Leave
- 401(k) plan with company match
- Flexible spending accounts
- Life insurance
- Disability benefits
- Stock Purchase Plan
- Team Member purchase discounts
At Aaron’s we offer sales and lease-to-ownership of specialty items including furniture, consumer electronics, home appliances, and accessories throughout the United States and Canada. Our customers shop at Aaron’s for the same reason you should choose us for the next step in your career – our ability to positively influence people’s lives. If you are looking for a company with the passion and dedication to make a difference in the lives of customers and team members alike, join us today.
Aaron's is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive work environment, celebrates our team members' differences, and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, pregnancy, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, military duty, gender expression, genetic information, or any other protected class. Candidates who require accommodation during the recruitment process should contact email@example.com.
Aaron's is an Equal Opportunity Employer